Sunday 24 October 2010

Jungle Trail Run

We just did a trail run around Bukit Timah park in the pouring rain. It was beautiful and quiet. Joel's shoe landed an inch from a little ribbon of green I could see as I ran behind him. When it came into focus I realized he'd just missed stepping on a Wagler's Pit Viper. It looked like an adolescent male who had been washed out of his daytime nap spot. Pit Vipers are nocturnal and usually hang out sleeping on tree branches during the day. The park naturalist was quite interested in our find, though I'd be fine with not seeing another one.

Our other discovery was dozens of monkeys with tiny babies hanging around their necks. It's really probably the cutest thing you could ever see... and we had no cameras this time.

-Stacey

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh how I really don't like snakes and it sounds like a good thing you didn't get bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw a snake on our Kayaking trip. I ran screaming like a little girl in the opposite direction while Marcel chased it down to look at it...... ewwww snakes..... :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not a snake person either! I'm quite surprised I didn't freak out but did dream of vipers all night long. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete