Tuesday 30 November 2010

Another week, another continent

We had been in Singapore for 7 weeks and, while life was generally going well, something unsettling was always on my mind. On the night before we left for Singapore my Grannie became seriously ill. Despite my not wanting to get on the flight that next morning my family assured me that there was nothing I could really do. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. As you know, I did get on that plane somehow but I never felt at ease with it.

Last weekend, looking around at my unpacked apartment, I was finally able say, my work here is done for now, it's OK to go home. I went online, scored a seat sale and 48 hours later I was on a plane.

Landing in Victoria was totally surreal. There was snow on the ground and it was a punishing cold wind that whipped in the door of the plane when they opened it. I slid down the ramp and walked into a grey world, as quiet as a sound stage and empty. It's so very odd to go from summer to winter in a day.

So here I am on the other side of the world again. I plan to stay for 6 weeks with Joel joining me over the holidays.  I'm so glad I came. As much as I love my expat life my family is always first and when times are tough I will always be just a plane away.

2 comments:

  1. Stacey, a few of us are getting together tomorrow (Thursday) if you would like to catch up .... we don't bite either!

    Hope you can make it to Canele at Level B1 of Raffles City Shopping Centre at 12 noon.

    am sure you will know who we are by the simple fact most of us are blonde and caucasian!!

    But if you feel you would rather meet one of us outside before venturing in, email me:

    leonefabre AT gmail DOT com

    be nice for you to meet a few others too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am still in Canada but I will be back in January and can't wait to meet all of you in the new year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete