Wednesday 22 December 2010

My old friend Victoria



I've been working seven days a week looking after Grannie since I arrived here. When Joel arrived last week we decided to run away for a night together. We booked a night at the Empress Hotel. I've always wanted to stay in this icon of our city but never really had the right excuse. It always seemed like a silly touristy thing to do but there we were with steaming cups of darjeeling tea looking out over the inner harbour.

Time really stands still in Victoria. When you're young that's a terribly frustrating thing because you just know there's a world out there, changing and evolving. As soon as I turned fifteen I was trying to escape from this town so that I could begin my life. I never realized that one day I'd really appreciate having a quiet place to just stop and rest. Victoria and I are like old friends who don't really have anything to say to one another. We don't need to visit often and we don't really have a future together but we have a past and sometimes that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment