Saturday 26 February 2011

Dempsey Hill the Axis of Douchebags or foodie hotspot?


We live really quite close to Dempsey Hill which, if you haven't been there is a tangle of high end restaurants at the top of a hill surrounded by pretty trees. It's not that far from the central business district but it feels like an oasis after downtown.

Thus far we've sampled the fare at The Red Dot, CMPB and PS Cafe. Food in all three has been pretty good, menus are designed by a chef, food not always overseen by a chef... but nothing too catastrophic has happened either. It's all very pricey so be prepared to open that wallet wide.


Everyone drives (or is driven) here and cars in this tangle of ill-planned parking lots are fiercely competing for the parking spaces. Walking is perilous as there are no sidewalks or paths. Doing battle with a Lamborghini is is part of getting to dinner. You've been warned.

This seems to be a pretty important place to be seen. The evenings are full of "pre-club" goers who look like they might die by high heel on their way to the table. Guys in sports cars sit and idle outside their preferred "look at me" locations.

In the day time you have the Mommy Celebutants. This special category of patrons look like they're impersonating Victoria Beckham in hopes of being snapped by paparazzi. They've managed to drag their entire families into the charade and it's quite a scene: Mommy fussing with her cocktail outfit getting ready for her imaginary fans. Daddy looks like he's been dragged away from from a soccer match on TV and is in rumpled shorts and an inside out t-shirt. Note that Mommy and Daddy never make eye-contact. The maid(s) wrangle their children/accessories and try to keep them from breaking stuff. It's a heart-warming scene that evokes both my gag-reflex and fascination.

So that's Dempsey hill, based on our first four visits. Will we be back? Hell yes, I want to see the next episode of the Desperate Housewives of Expat Singapore. Also I'm more than a little curious about The White Rabbit. More on that to come I'm sure.

6 comments:

  1. Croquettes eggs benny? That looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! The food at PS Cafe is great. I think the Quiche my hubby had was better than the Croquettes though. it was like a brûlée... So creamy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to Dempsey Hill a few times and always at night, and I always forget I'm in Singapore because it's mostly expats. I love your description of the day time patrons.

    I want to go again to see what the hype is all about at the Disgruntled Chef.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I find Dempsey Hill a great mix of expats/locals. You really need to go to Tanglin Mall to see the next episode of Desperate Housewives of Expat Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noted, it's always good to have some people watching spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love how you described Dempsey Village.....sooo true the people who are all "look at me".

    ReplyDelete