Saturday 12 March 2011

The day the earth stood still

I can't remember a time when the world felt any smaller. The earthquake in Japan just brought what felt like the whole world to a halt as we dropped everything we were doing to watch the scenes on TV or to frantically contact people in the areas affected. And then the Tsunami warnings further bound us all to a common fear. We had countless calls and emails back and forth between people on nearly every continent. I felt pretty confident that Joel and I were fairly safe but I worried about all the islands between us and Japan should the waves ravage them.

Over the following hours my own fears about the Tsunami warnings turned to relief and I'm now left watching the footage of Japan again and reading about the nuclear disaster that likely looms for them on top of all the destruction. I have friends whose families in Sendai have not been accounted for yet and I'm very scared for them. I hope today brings good news and comfort as people are hopefully found and reunited. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment