Friday 15 April 2011

Antique adventures on Gumtree

Finding home furnishings has been somewhat frustrating thus far because we just have no idea where to look. A few trips through the upscale antique dealers in our area was a reminder of how expensive convenience can be. Also, there are a lot of really terribly made things. I've seen pot metal claimed to be brass, mason jar lids spray painted and used as a cap on a chandelier... the list goes on.  You really have to know your stuff, which I don't really but I know a mason jar lid when I see one.

The best finds I've had are online with Gumtree or Craigslist. People sell second hand furniture for pittance as they repatriate often with a close deadline looming which sweetens deals. Earlier this week I saw an ad on Gumtree for a table that caught my eye.


 We checked it out in person yesterday. Its story is, someone had it made from a bunch of different reclaimed pieces of old teak from Indonesia. It is certainly pitted and worn and yet delightfully warm and eclectic. My pilates teacher would probably classify it as "Shop House Style" which I am learning is a furniture style or at least to some people here. 

Anyway, we bought the table and it arrives next Tuesday! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment