Friday 17 June 2011

Penang travels and Canadian thoughts

See the whole album on flickr

You one would have guessed the rest of our Penang trip was spent eating. This is by far the biggest draw -- besides the historical walks and architecture -- to the city of George Town. The street meat, the hawker centres and sizzling grills in unmarked alleys and hole in the wall bare bones mom and pop shops. We sampled pretty much everything our local hosts pointed us toward and I couldn't recount it all if I tried. There's a blog devoted just to hawker food in Penang worth checking out to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Today we flew home and as soon as I got back onto my computer a barrage of disturbing news of the riots in Vancouver piled into my inbox. It's a dark day when you are so humiliated by your country you'd rather not show your passport to anyone. I felt like this around the election too. In response I decided that I should modify my passport. Happy Friday everyone.

3 comments:

  1. The link to Penang hawker food is great, thanks! We're looking to plan a weekend getaway there soon.

    And as for the hockey riots, ugh. I am not Canadian, but I feel a bit humiliated as a hockey fan, especially since it made international headlines. But everything is cleaned up now. I just read this post http://goo.gl/52GUU about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Staits Collection where we stayed was amazing too. The old shop house we rented was the perfect immersion into that area and time period of the places we were exploring.

    Thanks for posting the link. I'm looking at some photos of the clean up now and it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to chip in on the "hockey riots". It was a group of people coming downtown to an event, with the intent to cause damage (reports of rocks in the trunk of car .. etc). And then random stupid young folks decided to add to that and it's just too bad that they chose to be misled. It was scary watching it on news and it happening a few miles away from where I was.

    ReplyDelete