Tuesday 14 May 2013

First week back in Cali

Here we are, day five back in California. Joel keeps turning to me and saying "can you believe we're back here? I feel like we're on vacation or something." It's true. This has been the easiest landing we've done yet. Due, I expect in equal parts, to knowing the area and being really prepared.

Joel did his first two days of work last week from the Venice office and the studios in Manhattan Beach. The commute to Manhattan Beach is a bit of a pain but the office in Venice is walking distance from where we are staying. 

My mother headed home on Thursday and I had my first ever solo parenting day on Friday. It was fine! Really I was nervous for nothing. Then we had our first ever weekend just the three of us. 

We bought a car! Well almost. We still are in the process of transferring the ownership but we are soon to be the owners of a marvelous road trip vehicle. I can't wait to hit the open road and see the golden state unfurl ahead of us as we blast out of town. 

Austen ready to go to the bank with us in his collared shirt and cardigan

What else have we been doing? Well I hit up a farmers market that popped up across the street from our building last week. It was amazing to get produce that fresh again. We've been eating a ton of Mexican food and I've been out for cheap awesome brunches nearly every day. For our first shopping binge we hit Whole Foods, Anthropologie and Petco all in one night. We followed that up with Target the next day. It's just insane how cheap everything is. We have this urge to shop a lot as if we were just passing through. I have to keep reminding myself that these stores are still going to be there later. 

Wild roses along the Venice canals

Lilies everywhere


On mother's day I just wanted to walk. We put Austen in the stroller and did the Venice boardwalk, 3rd St Promenade and all the way back again along Main Street and Abbott Kinney. The whole way we were treated to clear blue skies, a breeze and clean fresh air. It's hard to describe how it's been to live without clean, cool air for as long as we have. You do get used to the humidity but damn! When you get a fresh lung-ful of this ocean breeze it's euphoric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment