Tuesday 23 August 2011

Singapore on Ice



So somehow eight months blew by with my skates sitting in the back of my closet. The lining has actually cracked and there was a spot of rust on the blade from the humidity. I finally went to Singapore's only ice rink today with a friend to see what it had to offer. It's small (studio size) with a few rows of bleachers down one side and a music room in the corner. Pretty standard set-up. They don't have hockey here and the figure skaters skate on public ice with a flood every 3-4 hours (tear). Yup, it's like Russia with nicer coaches and 99.9% less vodka. The rink is a little sketchy but I've seen worse in California.

I have to say it felt really good to get out there. I might have overdone it a little because I went home and passed out for hours. We'll just call that a "happy nap" and not a "you are not 19 anymore nap."

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I think there's also some sort of micro ice-ring at the Marina Bay Sands shopping centre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such high hopes when I saw that. It's a polyethylene surface. I've used them for shows but they are pretty hard on blades.

    ReplyDelete