Sunday 31 July 2011

Skating in Singapore

So when we first arrived here I was taken to view Singapore's ice rink. It turned out to be a studio rink (like the one we had behind the other two rinks at Minto that one really used) and it's inside a shopping mall. Since I haven't been in the country long enough at a time to have a normal schedule I just never got around to going to check it out again.

I did attempt to contact skaters here but I couldn't find any. There were no schedules on any of the skating club pages and no contact information either (and most of their links to anything were broken). The skating rink itself has a site with operating hours and again no schedule. I decided to write to them and ask what sessions I could drop in on. They did not understand what I meant by a "session." Nobody books ice. There are no hockey sessions, figure skating sessions, tot skates.... nope. Just one big long public session. Even if you are in lessons, they still let the public on the ice. They refused to put me in contact with any skating clubs. Fine, I said, I'll just rent the ice. They said that would be $800 an hour and would come with a birthday party room [headesk].

No wonder skating isn't popular here, it's a royal pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment