Wednesday 31 October 2007

My first 5.6 Earthquake

Well, when we moved down here people casually told us that there will be earthquakes "all the time". So this evening when the house started shaking - though not all that violently - I was on the phone with Joel and we both said "Hey cool, it's an earthquake" and we were all excited about it. That was it, I thought. Nothing fell over, power was on, life didn't miss a beat. Then I turned on the TV.
Enter CNN
Wow, it's really something else to see them spin this into a story. I listened to a dozen people call in to report that their pets were hiding. "My cat is under the bed" really? That's amazing. There were a a few snapshots of hairline cracks in people's plaster ceilings which may have been because of the quake or they really wanted to see if their ceiling would be on the news. A few folks really close to the epicentre near San Jose did have a lot more shaking than we did and had things fall off shelves, but really, we'll all all right. We can go back to casually telling newcomers that this happens "all the time".

No comments:

Post a Comment