Tuesday 25 January 2011

Stacy and Stacey

When I landed in Narita the other day I went to the connections desk for my boarding pass and after an hour and a half I was handed one with the wrong seat number on it. "This isn't my seat" I said handing it back with what little tact was left in me after the long line-up. The exasperated flight attendant said "Plane full" to which I also pointed out "my name is not right." It was true. My name was there but it was missing the e in both my first and last names and I had a different middle initial. She snatched the pass back and typed in my last name with the 'e'. "Ahhh, you are right" she said tearing the boarding bass in half and printing another. With my new pass in hand and window seat secured I wandered into the lounge wondering "is there another person on this flight with my name?" It's one thing to find another Stacey but someone with the same last name too and in Japan?

After sitting on my laptop for a while catching up on emails I became aware of a young couple sitting near me who were discussing their trip to Singapore. I was intrigued and asked them if this was their first trip here. We had a nice chat pouring over maps and I dished advice till we needed to get on the flight. Feeling that we should try to connect during their visit the girl reached into her bag and produced a business card. I took it and gasped. Not only had I found the other Stacy but we were the same age and both headed for Singapore. Crazy!

I actually started to piece together who she was at this point as I had run across a name twin when I was checking my website googleability and had seen a site for a singer. This is she, and she's playing in Singapore this week for all you expats in the hood.  http://www.myspace.com/stacyclark

3 comments:

  1. What a small world, I saw that she was playing and thought about checking her out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were at TAB last night to see her show. She's doing one more night there tonight. http://www.tab.com.sg/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I felt the same disbelief! It was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete